Friday, March 1, 2013

To take the high road or the low road?


Today I have rid myself of shoes and socks again, in order to prepare my feet for Holy Week.  I have I confess been praying (and wishing) it might just get a bit warmer. However I should know better than to ask for something that would just make my life easier. This is afterall not meant to be easy, if it was there would be no point doing it. My friend, however pointed out that he had been watching me pass by his study window, picking and choosing my way to find the easy path. 

My friend has of course made me think ( a dangerous occupation, I know). The challenge really was that I was taking on something over which some people have no choice. Yet here am I exercising my freedom to choose....

What this friendly observation has caused me to do is reflect on why we look so carefully at the pathways we choose to follow in life. It has been apparent to me that often the things I have consciously decided for myself have often been what have led to most of the wrong turns. Situations where I have been led by circumstances and people around me, have often led me down a more painful but infinitely more fruitful path. So why don't I ever learn to trust?

We look back over much of our lives and can identify where we went wrong and about turn to fix it. Some things can never be healed others can, but learning to accept the path we have chosen for ourselves is often uncomfortable, especially when we know in our hearts that we thought we had taken the easier road.

Life is full of challenges and while we may be quick to decide that the smooth path might be easier than the rough, it will often be longer and harder. So I am going to endeavour to just put one foot in front of the other and trust that that is right thing to do. After all, all the ground is cold and while the gravel is visible, who knows what lurks in the grass..........

As I might have mentioned before I am not just insane, I am doing this to help others people through the charity Us. Should you wish to support me and them please donate through my Just giving page





No comments:

Post a Comment