Monday, March 4, 2013

Be Still



"Be still for the presence of the
Lord, the holy one is here.

Come, bow before him now, with

Reverence and fear.
In him no sin is found, we stand on
Holy ground.
Be still, for the presence of the

Lord, the holy one is here."

This is the first verse of a hymn I sung so often at school that it still trips off my tongue without the need of a book. It was most often used as the communion hymn where it's words have such an awesome meaning.  "Be still for the presence of the Lord, the holy one is here." The Lamb of God upheld before you, given to you and consumed by you, should be enough to "be still" anyone.   This I acknowledge is far easier said than done, especially if you have children, as I do.  Though on the days that stillness is found, the full enormity of what you are receiving is truly overwhelming and uplifting. 

Space, peace, quiet, time and stillness, are all things considered secondary to the business of our daily lives. Society today is concerned with rushing around and filling every second of our lives with something seemingly fulfilling. Since my youngest started school, I have found the time to just stop and think. Unfortunately for all of you, you have been subjected to the fruits of my time in thought. 

But what I have found is that pausing even for a second in the midst of the busiest time you have, you can look around and see that you are still standing on Holy ground. The immense power and beauty of God's creation and love surrounds us every second of the day. Taking time to appreciate what we have in even a glimpse of a moment of peace in our hearts is an acknowledgement that God is there. Through the joy and the pain, the stress and the calm, he is there in the stillness, when we choose to look.





1 comment:

  1. ..."when we choose to look". How very true that is. Faith is so much about choice. I find I often need to look harder!

    ReplyDelete