Sunday, March 31, 2013

Journeys End (or "I have warm feet")

I promise this will be the last time I mention bare feet of any kind, especially mine. Before I tell you what has stuck with me over the last 40 days and especially the last week, I would like to say Thank You. Thank you to those who have donated money to change lives. Thank you to the people who promoted the cause, so more lives could be changed. Thank you to those of you who simply took the time to ask how my feet were or who prayed for me, it kept me going in the many times I wanted to stop. Because of all you wonderful people there is £541 going to Us.

My feet have survived relatively unscathed, I just have a purple toe. This was ironically acquired on the final few footsteps to Church this morning when I tripped over my daughter. Still it is a good fashion statement with the black soles of my feet.

Starting my journey on Palm Sunday and placing my shoes on after receiving my first Communion of Easter proved to be incredibly moving. Though at the end of it there are few physical injuries to show. There has been due to the cold physical discomfort and pain. There have been many injuries to my pride as well. I have spent a week walking on the dirt and detritus that society is protected from by shoes. Because of all these simple things, going to stand at the altar to receive Communion is intensely humbling. This morning bringing all of my vulnerability to the Altar, standing on holy ground with nothing between me and it, receiving and then returning to my seat and placing my shoes on brought me to tears. There is very simple suffering in what I have endured, enough to disconcert me but not enough to do damage and I can end it. Just like that. I felt so enormously privileged that I had the freedom to make that choice.

So many people suffer around me here and abroad. They have no choice in the matter and no easy solution. Walking bare foot has made me realize how incredible selfish and proud I am. These are not easy lessons to learn, especially when it so obviously laid out in front of you. It has made me realize how easily I will resort to finding the easier way, rather than struggling with the harder one. I am like all human beings weak. Yet despite these faults I have been asked "How my Feet are?" I never thought I would find those simple words so moving, but I can assure you, I can. Despite all my weaknesses, God and my friends still cared about me.

Today of all days, this day of joyous Resurrection highlights this. For if we had not fallen at the first hurdle in Eden there would have been no need for the sacrifice that was paid for us. Yet we were loved enough for God to sacrifice his son, and break the barriers of death to give us life eternal.

So all that remains, is for me to wish you all a very Happy Easter and give you one more very big Thank You.

(If you have not already donated but feel you would like to, please go to https://www.justgiving.com/Hannah-Phillips7 , thank you in advance)





No comments:

Post a Comment