Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Putting faith in the path ahead

When Jesus walked out on the sea towards the disciples. Peter asked if he to could walk on the sea towards his Lord. He starts out gliding across with grace, but he starts to think about what he is doing and begins to sink. This is a passage that Bishop Tom Butler chose to speak about in his sermon at my husband's ordination. It seems a very appropriate passage for us. So much of the process of finding this curacy and arriving here has been founded on walking out to sea trying not to think of the vast expanse of space between us and the bottom of the sea. There have been moments of doubts, when it has felt like we have been sinking.This weekend though, I don't think either of us could have been gliding on the water with more faith and confidence in God.
Three years of training and many more years of exploration, culminated in Chris' ordination this Petertide. A sin it maybe but I could not have been more proud.
In the evening there was a Parish party to welcome us, Chris could not have looked more natural in a cassock, greeting people. So then begins our lives in the Parish. Despite the many conversations from experienced clergy spouses, I suspect that yet again I am launching myself out onto the sea and it will be my faith that keeps me afloat. I am also being kept busy trying to educate our middle son, who has not yet got a place at school. This in it's self has been a blessing and it is lovely to have this special time with my middle son, who so often gets left out due to the clamor of his older and younger siblings.
All three children have, despite hitting the ground running coped amazingly well. The two in school have made friends and settled in well. My daughter has in the three weeks we have been here learnt to read and write and come in the top three of all her sports day races. My eldest son, who fell to pieces when we moved to Oxford, has settled in well and appears very happy at school.
There is I know a journey full of many new challenges, but for a few small moments I have the confidence and strength of faith to glide across the water. I am sure sooner rather than later I will think more than I should about what it is we are doing and the doubts will creep in. However, for now I shall enjoy the beauty surrounding me, the lovely Parish and Parishioners and most of all the fact that as a family we are all totally content and happy with where we are. Deo gratias.

No comments:

Post a Comment