Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Building life's Castles





As I sit here writing there are two small people attempting to build a castle with the left over removal boxes. Clearly the vast expanse of house available to them is to much, they require a smaller and more basic design. Four walls, preferably collapsible, easy to transport and the ability to set up home near someone they care about so they can share life's ups and downs.
It has occurred to me whilst watching this, that this would have been amazingly convenient over the last few years. If I could have folded my house and all it's belongings into the back of the car, maybe squeezing in a few relatives at the same time, moving would have been much easier and life much simpler.
I spend a great deal of my life desiring something better than what I have. I am not in anyway proud of this, but I still find myself doing it. What has become apparent in the process of acquiring things, is though on the surface things become simpler, what is actually happening is life gets more complicated. We constantly hear reverberating around various parts of our lives conversations such as:-
If we both work, we will afford it all
If I buy this, life will be better
If I do this, all life's problems will be solved
If I lose weight/wear make up/dress in the latest fashions, everyone will like me
All these things bring complications into our lives and very rarely bring the Utopia we think they will. It is all very much a symptom of the great secular revolution, this concept that all can be solved by shallow and soul less changes to our lives.
As I have been sat here, the two small people next door have gone from arguing over boxes, space and pens, to co-operating and building a shared space. Taking the simpler concept into an even simpler concept of we have a little let us share what we have. The more we acquire, the more we want, the more possessive we become and the less we become inclined to share. We become empty and lonely. It is a true, a rich man is only rich because he keeps the money that makes him so.
On my chalkboard in the kitchen I have quoted Sylvia Plath "I desire the things that will destroy me in the end". It is a useful reminder, that ultimatly what we desire is often what corrupts us the most. However when we find the simplicity of space, time and peace, that moment when we encounter God. If we stop and listen we find the emptiness is where we find contentment. A singular search for happiness in what we possess, will always be an empty and fruitless one. If we search for the greater truths there is only one to be had and tranquility can be found.
 Yet again I fall short of this ideal, as do we all it is what makes us human. However I am hoping that watching my children build this simple house, having worked through their differences to find a common ground, that I will remember at least for a few days to prioritize the right things in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment