Friday, March 3, 2017

Upon the Cross we must Suffer for Salvation to be achieved

When I first started write this blog, it was when I was first beginning to get used to the idea that I could be Anglican and not be ashamed of the fact that I did not believe in a female Priesthood. I began to find my footing and understand the theology behind the instinct and teaching I had had as a child. The first responses I go to this is that I could only have been taught this by a man. I was not, I grew up in the midst a multitude of different Christian influences. It was a decision I reached myself and researched  myself. So, you will forgive me if I find two men writing articles on how women should feel about a Bishop who does not ordain women somewhat ironic.

As a Church we made a commitment to allow both integrity's to flourish, a decision made by a vote in Synod. It allowed everyone what they wanted with compromises on all sides. The decision was what allowed us to live the Christian way, together, in harmony, in peace and loving one another without boundaries. We all sacrificed that we may have a new Church born out of the ashes.

And so the consecration women Bishops commenced, many of them. All very good and all of them doing an excellent job. Bishop Libby and Bishop Philip consecrated within weeks of each other, hugged and commenced their Episcopal ministry supporting each other.  Most of the female Bishops are supporting the decision that Sheffield diocese has made.  All of the newly consecrated women have been supported and upheld in their ministry by those who do not support their ontological position. They have been shown tolerance, love and acceptance. This is as it should be, this is what we agreed it to be, this is how as Christians we should be living. Yet others seem think that their own political agenda or at worst their patriarchal view of feminism is more important the kindness, generosity and tolerance of those with whom we disagree. They may think that my point of view or indeed that many others (whilst also rooted in theology) is wrong and maybe even sinful, but Jesus' action would have been to invite them to dine with him not to throw them out of the community from which they live.

When the 5 guiding principles were announced I had great scepticism as to whether we would ever see another traditionalist Bishop, let alone a Diocesan one.  It gave me great hope and confidence in the Church when Bishop North was consecrated as a Suffragan Bishop. He is Godly man, he is filled with passion for the Gospel, Mission and Evangelism. He is a man who considers the poor and the vulnerable, he will fight their corner in all aspects of society. Above all he has supported the women in their ministry in Burnley and he would do so in Sheffield too.

For the unity of the Church, for the upholding of a Christian way of living, for the development of mission, for the proclamation of the Gospel, for those who need to someone to fight their corner for them, I hope against hope that Bishop North will not allow recent outbursts from those who are entirely selfish to affect his decision to take the post. He has been prayerfully chosen and the decision will not have been lightly made. He is very much the future of our Church, where as I am afraid I do not think his opponents are even in the line to be.

It is a Garden of Gethsemane moment, we can all kneel and wonder at God's plans for us right now. A time when the Church may suffer, but salvation lies after the suffering has been completed.

No comments:

Post a Comment