Friday, December 12, 2014

A little unexpected

Earlier in the week my attention was drawn back to Our Blessed Mother as we celebrated the Immaculate Conception. This is the first year when my youngest understood what we were celebrating at any level, and I was faced with a superfluous flow of questions. All of which I deflected in the hope that the sermon would answer them for me, fortunately this was the case.

All though this is an important celebration and there is lots to be said, it is not the Immaculate Conception that has been holding my thoughts all week. It is a combination of this and this video ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W2UrAoh76o ) that has got me thinking. Christmas starts with a little baby. This little baby was not expected, planned or convenient, yet here he was not just a life on miraculous human scale but a divine miracle too.

As much then as now, unplanned children were a challenge, more so when out of wedlock. It is a daunting thought when you discover you are to be a Mother. You have a life growing inside of you, even more of a shock when the timing is not great. A whole ream of thoughts go through your head, am I good enough, can I do this even when others think I can't, can I provide, can I love.  Despite all of these challenges and questions, God has chosen you for this life. To grow it and nurture it, he maybe understands more of you, than you do.  It is a lot easier now to decide the time is not right for you, than it was back then. In the loneliness of making a choice that affects not just her, but her husband to be Mary said "I am the handmaid of the Lord, be it unto me according to your word."

I have been through three pregnancies, each time I have had doubts as to whether now is right. However, one thing I have always been sure of is that little life is a miracle, A miracle that will challenge, frustrate and  fatigue me, but will also bring me so many blessings too.

Life has it's curve balls, it has a habit of stopping us in our tracks with inconvenient little miracles. It might be hard to take on the challenges God throws in our footpaths sometimes, but I guarantee that not only will he guide you and hold you through them, he will reward you with many blessings. Christ came to us in so many unexpected ways and  grew up to be crowned a humble King of peace. He came not with the power and planning we value so much, but came to challenge that. Faith is a challenge, it is not planned but it is the greatest gift you will get this Christmas. It is love, hope, grace and life everlasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment