Monday, March 17, 2014

Finding an equal footing

Equal, when something is the same. Equality, when we all have the same rights. Equality of debate, when we are all allowed an opinion and a voice without prejudice. To be tolerant, is to tolerate those who are of a different opinion without reservation or judgement or recompense. Inclusive, to be an organisation which includes all within it, whether or not we agree with each other. The Anglican Communion, should equal all of the above.
Lord Neuberger last week, was quoted as saying "People cannot debate traditional issues because of liberal 'censoriousness'" It is a problem that society has, it is also a problem the Church has. I can read a paper, my twitter feed, facebook or listen to the news and there are so many voices shouting about the above buzzwords, equality, tolerance and inclusivity. These are all true if you are sympathetic to a modern agenda and concept of these words. I struggle to find my feet in a world and Church that is so much at odds with my beliefs and lifestyle. I am guilty that I stay at home to look after my children. I feel embarrassed that I chose that over a degree, because people constantly ask me what I do with my life. An answer along the lines of I care for and teach my children whilst supporting my husband in his ministry does not seem to have quite the same level of appeal to modern society as I have a degree in x and work for x. I am guilty that I am at odds with the plight of women kind. Having been made to feel bad for what I do and believe, I am then prevented from justifying it because my opinions maybe offensive. I do not desire to make all believe the same as me, nor make all live the same life as me. However it seems that at the moment society can only have a one sided debate. The so called liberal debate. Any one else is not to be heard because they might be offensive. They are to be removed from our democratic systems, in case they might just actually have a voice that is heard and responded to.
We are blind siding a whole valuable part of the Church that does actually have a lot to give society, even it is just to moderate the 'liberal censoriouness' that is begining to exist in society. To deny people free speech and opinion because you disagree with them is only a stepping stone away from a dictatorship even if it is a liberal one. It is about as far from equality and tolerance as you can get. I appreciate my opinion is different to the popular one. However, I see a great benefit in traditional family values, when the world has lost respect, tolerance and loyalty, in favour of individualism and self serving agendas. We no longer know the value of listening to each other. We no longer understand the value of working at relationships. We no  longer understand the value of compromise. Society is breaking up and we are too fixated on one concept and one answer to fix it. We can only fix society by stopping and listening to one another, no matter how uncomfortable it makes us feel. It is in learning to compromise so all are equal. It is about loving one another for who we are. This is the Christian way. We are not here to judge one another, we are here to love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment