Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Finding peace in the chaos

At the moment life feels like a bit of a whirlwind. Nothing appears to be in it's right place and nothing appears to be going in the right direction. So while I am now very much looking forward to having everything neatly in it's boxes. For the moment I have to be content with chaos.
There has been a point of concern for me in all of this recently. How do I find the peace in the middle of the tornado around me. I find that I am not finding the time to stop, reflect and pray  until the end of the day and as I say the prayers I should have said earlier in the day I find my mind falling asleep or drifting on to some other point of interest. In short my brain has had enough of this thinking business and would quite like to sleep.  I on the other hand would quite like to force it to pray. I lose more often than not. I have been known to fall asleep Rosary in hand and I am sure I will again. However it strikes me this is not quite the pattern of life I had built up in my life up to this point. It has shocked me quite how easily I have struck aside, what had been so important to me only a few weeks ago. Indeed it still is highly important to me, but has become one of those un-timetabled events that I think I will do later but never ever seem to get round to.  When I have a cause to time table it in, I come to the realization that it really does make a difference.
Those of you who have read the more recent posts I have put up, will be all to aware of the book that I am reading at the moment. It is about the different ways in which one can engage with one's spirituality. Encouraging people to see prayer as a form of thinking, or discerning. In the moments when we stop still, in particular in such moments when we are in front of the Sacrament, we come into contact with Christ. In these moments, if we use them to discern or think about this contact, we can begin to see how we can see God outside the walls of our Church. In discerning a little further we can begin to see how we can reflect that image in ourselves to others. In short how we can go forward and serve.
At the moment the going forward bit seems to be going forward with or without me. I am making myself busy by preoccupying myself with every single detail because I am afraid of the bigger picture. Hiding my head in the sand is something I excel at, however I am learning (more quickly than I would like) that confronting what I am hiding from gives me a far better sense of peace than hiding it. I suppose this is why I also find it easy to say I will pray another time. It means I do not have to think constructively about that from which I am hiding. Sometimes I need a little nudge in the right direction, some times I get it, usually in not such a subtle way either. I guess someone knows I need the sledge hammer approach. Well inside a week I have had two of these moments both of which were reminding me how important this space and time spent in prayer are. Maybe I really should start to listen........


No comments:

Post a Comment